Explore New Westminster
New Westminster, also known as “The Royal City” is located in the Lower Mainland on the border of the Fraser River. It is the first ever city of Western Canada and carries a significant history by being the first established capital of the colony of British Columbia in 1858. It was chosen as the province’s first city because of the beautiful and tactical location right on the waterfront. In 1868 Victoria was chosen as the permanent capital after BC and Vancouver Island were united as one colony. However, New Westminster remained secondary in rank after the Canadian Pacific Railway was constructed through the city into Vancouver from the years of 1886-87.
Once upon a time, New Westminster was also the most populated city in British Columbia, until it was exceeded by the rapidly growing city of Vancouver in the very early 1900s.
Other than the long rich history New Westminster carries, in present day it is one of Vancouver’s best-kept secrets. It has become a major hub for unique shopping, dining and entertainment; it’s no wonder the city has increased considerably in population!
Developments in New Westminster
- Oxford by Crescent Creek Homes
- Ewen by Berar Group
- Light House by Aragon Properties Ltd.
- River Mews by Northwest Development
- Stanley Green by Elegant Development
- Portside by Anthem
- The Peninsula by Aragon Properties
- Pier West by Bosa Development
- Elina on Eighth by Canada West Development
- Amira by Alpha Beta Developments Ltd. and Domus Homes
- Irving Living by Altima Group
- 618 Carnarvon by Skyllen Pacific
- Ovation by Domus Homes and VINTOP DEVELOPMENT CORP
- The Columbia at Brewery District by Wesgroup